The McCray estate is a Colonial Revival home, designed by Chicago architect Ralph E. Stoetzel in 1926 for Kendallville’s refrigeration entrepreneur E. E. McCray, his wife, Lena Orr McCray, and their only daughter, Sarah Amanda. Building, overseen by local contractor George Diggins, was completed in 1928. Kendallville residents tell us that Mr. McCray's employees may have been involved in building the home’s cabinetry and woodwork. Pencil sketches can be found on drawer bottoms in several rooms.
Built on the site of the McCray family’s former residence, the estate is situated on one acre of land in an urban setting that totals five city lots. A three-bay carriage house is located on the property. Built in the Arts & Crafts style, it was designed for the McCray’s former residence, which was originally situated on the current two front lots of the property.